ACCESS: This collection is open to the public upon request.
COPYRIGHT: Please consult the archivist for information about duplication or publishing of any materials from this collection.
The Potomac River Archaeology Survey (PRAS), part of American University's Department of Anthropology, has conducted research within the Potomac River watershed and greater surrounding Mid-Atlantic region for over four decades. Many of these investigations have been undertaken for the National Park Service, local government agencies, private institutions, companies, and preservation organizations. Projects included both historic and prehistoric archaeology.
Scope and Content Note
This collection documents the Potomac River Archaeology Survey's excavation sites in Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia. This includes site survey records (1960 - 1972) and contact sheets and negatives of dig sites and excavated items (1970 - 1971). This collection also contains an archaeological field catalog (1963 - 1972, 1978), drafts of a manuscript about the history of archaeology along the Potomac River, and American Indian archaeology teaching modules for middle schoolers (1981-1982).
The American University Department of Anthropology donated this collection in 2015.
Box and Folder Listing
American Indian Archaeology in the Middle School, 1983
1. People Who Study People: Archeologists and American Indian Tribes, 1981
2. Many Different People are Called American Indians, 1981
5. Corn: An American Indian Gift to the World, 1981
6. Pottery: What can it tell us about the Past? 1981
7. Son of the Sun: Priest-Kings in the Southeastern U.S., 1981
8. The First American Apartment Houses: Pueblo Indians of the Southwest, 1982
10. Ordinary People in History: The Archeology of the Colonial Period, 1982
Annotated U.S. Geological Survey topographic map of Alexandria Quadrangle, Virginia-District of Columbia-Maryland, undated
Archaeological Field Catalog (2 folders), 1963 - 1973, 1978
Clippings, 1968, undated
Deep Time in the Potomac River Valley-Thoughts on PaleoIndian Lifeways and Revisionist Archaeology, 1991