If you have found a book that you want and either:
- AU does not own a copy
- AU does own a copy, but it is checked out
- AU owns a copy, but it is lost
THEN you can request a book from another library
American University belongs to the WRLC Consortium. You can go to any of the consortium schools and check books out from their main libraries using your AU ID OR you can order the book through the Consortium Loan Service (CLS). The following schools are in WRLC:
- AU = American University
- CU = Catholic University
- DC = University of the District of Columbia
- GA = Gallaudet University
- GM = George Mason University
- GT = Georgetown University
- GW = George Washington University
- MU = Marymount University
Consortium Loan Service For Books
The WRLC schools share the ALADIN catalog. You can order a book directly through the catalog. Follow these steps to order a book through CLS:
- Click HERE to go to the ALADIN Catalog
- Search for the book.
- If the book is available at AU, go check it out.
- If the book is not available at AU but is available at another library, click on the record
- Click on the link to "Request through Consortium Loan Service (CLS)"
- Login to the system using your family name, AU ID number, and select AU as the institution
- Leave the fields blank except for the box near the bottom that asks you to re-enter you AU ID. Do so and click "Submit Request"
- The book will arrive at the AU Circulation Desk within 3-5 business days. You will receive an email telling you to pick it up. If the book cannot be found at another WRLC library, you will receive an email informing you of this. If you still want the book, reply to that email.
Ordering AU Journal Articles Using the Consortium Loan Service
If neither AU nor any other library in the WRLC Consortium has a book available, you can request that the library find it at another library outside the consortium. To do this, you will need the book citation information.
- If the book you want is at American University's Law Library or Wesley Seminary, Click HERE and fill out the form
- Click HERE to go to the Interlibrary Loan System, or go to MyALADIN and login
- Enter your AU ID number and your last name
- On the next screen, enter all the citation information you have (title, author, date)
- You may change your password by clicking the Change User Information button after you've logged in. If you cannot log into the system, please call Interlibrary Loan 202-885-2779 or email email@example.com