Library "How-To" Tutorials
- How to Do a Basic Search in SearchBox
- How to Find Books
- How to Find Videos
- How to Check Your Library Account
- How to Renew Your Books Online
- How to Access Electronic Articles
- How to Use Find More Answers
- How to Request Articles and Books Through the WRLC Consortium Loan Service
- How to Request Articles and Books Through Interlibrary Loan
Research Video Tutorials
- Procedures for Reserving and Accessing Digital Media Services Computers Overnight
- DVD Bookmarking for Classroom Screening
- Connecting to the Music Library's FlipCam to a Television
- Incorporating Clips from the Television News Archive into Blackboard
WRLC Research Commons: Creating an Account and Uploading Files
How To ...
Library Use Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: What does it mean when the catalog says something is "On Approval?"
It means that it is a new item that has been received into the building, but it has not yet been processed (e.g. cataloged, etc.) so it is not yet on the shelves.
Q: Can I get an "On Approval" item?
Yes, but not immediately. You have two options:
- Click here and fill out the Priority Cataloging form. The library staff will then rush process the requested item and put it aside for you. However, this can still take up to 5 business days.
- If the item is available at another WRLC Library, it may be faster to request it through CLS.
WRLC is the Washington Research Libraries Consortium, a regional resource-sharing organization established by eight universities in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area to expand and enhance the information resources available to their students and faculty.
The combined holdings of the WRLC libraries total more than 5 million volumes, over 37,000 serial subscriptions, plus a wide variety of electronic journals, electronic books, and other online resources, microforms, nonprint media, manuscripts, rare books and special collections. You may search the holdings of the consortium through the WRLC Libraries Catalog.
Member libraries of the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) share holding facilities for some library materials that have been determined to be rarely used.
These items will appear in the WRLC Libraries Catalog with the location "WRLC Center." Almost all items in the WRLC Center may be requested through the Consortium Loan Service by American University students, faculty, and staff with valid identification cards.
Due to age, physical fragility, or other restrictions, some items held in the WRLC Center may only be used at the WRLC Center or in the American University Library.
If you have questions about restrictions on specific items, contact the Interlibrary Loan / Document Delivery unit.
The member institutions are:
Check out books at any of the consortium libraries using their AU ID. Always take your AU ID with you when you visit another WRLC Library.
Use the Consortium Loan Service (CLS) to borrow books and get articles from other WRLC schools.
Use the special collections and online databases on site at another WRLC library.
- Check materials out of the WRLC Center, our shared off-site storage facility.