University Library and Open Access
The library is undertaking a pilot project to help researchers pay the article processing charges (APCs) associated with publishing in open access journals. We are providing these funds in order to encourage researchers to publish their work in high-quality open access publications. In order to ensure quality while supporting research from all AU disciplines, the journal in which your work will be published must meet certain criteria as detailed below.
The AU Open Access fund is generously supported by the Lee Somers Fund.
This is a pilot project for the 2017-2018 academic year. This program will be continuously monitored and assessed, and as a result, is subject to change at any time. We welcome feedback, questions, and other correspondence at email@example.com, and encourage interested faculty to email for assistance with the application process.
- Funds are available to all full-time AU faculty members.
The journal must meet at least two of the following four criteria:
- The journal is listed in the DOAJ or its publisher is a member of the OASPA.
- The journal is included in academic databases (indexed) as reported by Ulrich’s Directory.
- The journal has an impact factor or other indicator of credibility (e.g., Scimago Journal Rank, Google Scholar Metrics).
- It has nationally or internationally esteemed editors or editorial boards.
- Funds can only be used to pay author processing charges for articles that have been accepted but not yet published.
- Payment must be made directly to journal. (no author reimbursement)
- These funds should be considered last-resort. If your research is supported by a granting agency that allows grant funds to be used to pay article processing charges, please explain in your application.
- Authors must agree to deposit a copy of their manuscript in AU’s open repository, AUDRA. We also encourage authors to deposit a copy of their research data in AUDRA when possible.
- A maximum of $3,000 is available per author in 2017/2018, and a maximum of $3000 is available for an individual article. However, authors can request up to $3000 to pay for more than one article while funds are available. For example, an author can request $1500 twice to pay for two separate article charges, for a total of $3000.
- Funds are available on a first-come, first-serve basis until all pilot funds have been expended.
- We will strive to respond to all correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org within two business days, and process all applications within one week.