The American University Library is committed to making its resources available to all American University students, staff and faculty on an equal basis.
In order to facilitate equal access, the library provide services to those members of the AU community who have disabilities.
There are two rooms in the library that house assistive technology workstations and one assistive technology workstation is located on the lower level. Please ask the Information Desk for assistance.
- Only same-day room reservations are taken by the Information Desk: (202) 885-3232
- Maximum blocks of 4 hours
- Reservations are held for 10 minutes
- Walk-in users may inquire at the Information Desk
- The keys are held at the Information Desk
- Keys are exchanged for a valid AU ID
The library maintains a list of people eligible for special services. In order to have your name included on the list, contact the appropriate office listed below:
- Students with Physical and Sensory Disabilities: Disability Support Services at (202) 885-3312
- Students with Learning Disabilities and Attention Deficit Disorder: Academic Support Center at (202) 885-3360
- Staff or Faculty: Human Resources at (202) 885-2591
Training on the Assistive Technology is available by appointment.
Contact Kamran Rasul, Assistive Technology Specialist, at (202) 885-3407.
- Authorized users may receive up to 1000 pages of free photocopying a semester
- The student may either check the materials out and take them to the copy center OR
- Give the Reserves Desk attendant a written list of needed items at least 24 hours in advance
Retrieval of Books and Periodicals:
If a patron is unable to access the stacks, s/he can obtain assistance retrieving library materials. After preparing a list of titles and call numbers, consult with library personnel at the Circulation Desk.
Specialized Instruction / Research Help:
- For brief reference needs, go to the Reference Desk
- For more extensive reference assistance or instruction, e- mail email@example.com or call (202) 885-3238 to schedule an appointment.
Library publications are available:
- In large print
- In Braille
- On disc
To request alternate format, please contact Disability Support Services at (202) 885-3315.
A small number of lockers are available for students with disabilities. At the beginning of the semester, stop by the Circulation Desk to request a locker.