The McKinley Building, named after President William McKinley, a former AU trustee, was the second building on AU’s campus. President McKinley enjoined the trustees with the notion that the next building built on campus would be named after his home state of Ohio. Following McKinley's assassination, the name was changed to honor the late president. In 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone to the building. McKinley currently houses the departments of physics and computer science and offices for the TESOL program and the International Training and Education program as well as the CAS Graduate Admissions office. It is the future home for the School of Communication.