WHO: Government and politics experts: academics, political analysts, and stakeholders
WHAT: Latino Public Affairs Forum: The Role of the Latino Vote in the 2016 Presidential Election
WHEN: 1 to 5:30 p.m., Monday, Feb. 29
WHERE: American University, 4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, D.C., Abramson Family Founders Room (School of International Service building, located at intersection of Nebraska and New Mexico Aves., NW)
NOTE: This event will also be livestreamed here: http://www.american.edu/clals/alpaf2016.cfm
BACKGROUND and SCHEDULE: This forum will consider the impact of the Latino vote on the current presidential election cycle. What effects might Republican discourse and positions during the primary process have on this growing block of voters and how might these affect the election? Are Democrats effectively building on or losing their historical advantage among Latinos? Are there other, perhaps unforeseen, factors that might come into play to help determine the impact of the Latino vote on the election?
SCHEDULE: Opening Remarks, 1:00-1:15 p.m.
Panel 1: The Republican Primaries, 1:15-2:30 p.m.
- Glen Bolger, Public Opinion Strategies
- David Karol, University of Maryland
- Neri Martinez, Republican State Leadership Committee
- James Thurber, American University (Moderator)
Panel 2: The Democrats & the Latino Advantage, 2:30-3:45 p.m.
- Matt Barreto, UCLA and Latino Decisions
- Maria Urbina, Voto Latino
- Janet Hernandez, National Council of La Raza
- Matthew Wright, American University (Moderator)
Panel 3: Swing States & Wildcards, 4:00-5:15 p.m.
- Mark Hugo Lopez, Pew Research Center
- Luis Fortuño, former Governor of Puerto Rico
- William M. LeoGrande, American University
- Eric Hershberg, American University (Moderator)
American University is a leader in global education, enrolling a diverse student body from throughout the United States and nearly 140 countries. Located in Washington, D.C., the university provides opportunities for academic excellence, public service, and internships in the nation’s capital and around the world.