Welcome to American University’s
Middle States Website
Every 10 years American University conducts a comprehensive self-study as part of the re-accreditation process conducted for the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Community participation is vital. We welcome your thoughts and comments.
Questions to Consider When Reviewing the Self-Study
The self-study is a report that is must demonstrate that AU meets the standards for accreditation, as described in the Middle States document, The Characteristics of Excellence. It is also a document for AU and will be used as a way to evaluate our strengths and to identify recommendations for how to better meet our strategic goals in the years ahead.
In order to make the self-study useful, the report focuses on examining how well the university is preparing for the future, given the changing nature of higher education. As you review the report, please keep in mind our overall goals and help us answer the following questions:
- Does the self-study convey AU's strengths?
- Does it address our challenges?
- Is there anything missing that should be covered or discussed in the chapter?
- Do the recommendations focus on priority areas within the scope of the chapter?
- Which recommendations are most important?