Skip to main content

Services for New Students

Please enter a service name and click on "Search". Searches are case insensitive.
   or Browse   A-F  |  G-L  |  M-R  |  S-Z

Apply for a Federal Direct Loan

Students who complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), are in a qualified degree seeking program and are eligible to receive federal aid may apply for Federal Direct loans.
Federal Direct Loans are federally supported, low-interest student loans with flexible repayment options. Subsidized loans are offered to students who have demonstrated financial need as determined by the Department of Education based on the Financial data reported on the FAFSA. Students who do not demonstrate financial need may apply for unsubsidized loans. All applicants must submit the FAFSA for determination of Direct Stafford Loan eligibility. Students must also complete Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note before the INITIAL disbursement of a Direct Stafford Loan can be made. » more
Service Links
  Direct Loans
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to fill out an MPN each year?

Students must complete a Master Prommisory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling the first time they borrow loans at American University, and when they start a new degree program

Who do I contact for more information on repaying loans?

Students should contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center at 1-800-848-0979

Service Departments
AU Central
Financial Aid
Available to
Current Students
Future Students