Services for New Students

Home > Services > Service Details
Please enter a service name and click on "Search". Searches are case insensitive.
   or Browse   A-F  |  G-L  |  M-R  |  S-Z

Immigration Documents - How to Obtain

Get your immigration documents from International Student & Scholars Services » more
Frequently Asked Questions
When will I receive my I-20 or DS-2019 immigration document?

After you have been admitted to American University and have paid your deposit (if required), the International Admissions office will send a request to the International Student & Scholar Services office to  will work on issuing your immigration document after receiving an official request from, along with your CFIS form and financial documents, after your deposit has been paid. The I-20/DS2019 should be issued within 5-7 business days after ISSS receives the request from International Admissions and confirms that you have sufficient financial documents.  The International Admissions office will mail your I-20/DS2019 to you after it has been issued, so please confirm your mailing address, as they will make sure the documents are sent to the correct address.
In the meantime, we recommend that you contact your EducationUSA office and plan to attend one of their pre-departure orientation programs:

What type of financial documents are acceptable?

All supporting financial documents must be in English or accompanied by a notarized English translation showing available liquidable funds. The financial documents cannot be older than three months at the time of submission to American University in order to be considered valid.  Examples of acceptable documents are at:

How much funding do I need to show to be issued an I-20 or DS-2019?

All students are required to demonstrate financial ability to pay for at least one year of academic and living expenses before being issued an immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019) by American University.  Cost guide for one year of study:

What is the next step after I receive my immigration documents?

After you receive your I-20 or DS-2019 in the mail, you will need to pay the SEVIS fee ( and apply for your visa at a US Embassy or Consulate ( the United States

Service Department
International Student and Scholar Services
Available to
Current Students
Future Students