Today, students enter college with more questions and stresses than ever before. Consequently, colleges and universities have greater challenges than ever before in how to meet student needs. American University is evaluating the student experience like no one else is, rethinking higher education and leading the way to what’s next.
Next: An interactive summit for higher education thought leaders
The mission and service philosophies of other industries
American University is hosting a summit of thought leaders to share ideas and promising examples from leading universities, all with a common goal: To design more integrated student experiences and improve the value of higher education.
About RiSE (Reinventing the Student Experience)
When it comes to a student's college experience, higher education needs a 21st-century reboot. Thanks to a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, American University is evaluating how to shift.
RiSE analyzes the challenges facing college students today. We must fundamentally alter how universities function to truly improve their experience inside and outside the classroom. We aim to set up a framework of support that can be replicated at other universities such as:
- Courses that ease transition into college, increase interdisciplinary awareness, and assist with financial aid
- A centralized, integrative university culture that emphasizes empathy and relationships
- An Office of the Student Experience to spearhead enterprise-level culture change and drive strategy using analytics
- An integrative, team-based advising program to help manage the flow of information
- One seamless technology system so a student’s information is integrated all in one place
- A Design Lab to foster an ethos of consistent innovation, assessment and improvement