September 20, 2017
- AU Community
- Fanta Aw, Vice President of Campus Life
- Recent Natural Disasters Affecting AU Community Members
In the past two weeks, we have seen a series of hurricanes and earthquakes shake our country and world. We would like to take the time to acknowledge the impact this has had on many members of our community from the Caribbean, Mexico, Texas, and Florida. The devastation sustained in these areas and the ongoing storms and long journey ahead to rebuild make it important for us to pause. Together in community is where we can heal best. Help us be that community for one another.
In your classrooms, offices, residence halls, and throughout campus, we ask that you:
- Understand there may be more people from the areas that have seen these disasters than you realize.
- Understand that even if someone is not from an affected area, they may have family, friends, communities and homes that have been affected.
- Share with someone how you are feeling.
- Let someone know you are available if they need to talk.
- Be patient with those around you - you may not know what they are going through.
- Take time for self-care that allows you to de-stress and recharge.
Please also remember that the follow staff and offices are available to support you.
Resources for Students
- Academic Advisors
- Community Directors and Resident Assistants in the Residence Halls
- International Student & Scholar Services ( firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-885-3350)
- Kay Spiritual Life Center ( email@example.com, 202-885-3320)
- Dean of Students Office( firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-885-3300)
- Counseling Center (202-885-3500)
Both the Dean of Students Office and Counseling Center have drop-in hours 2-4 p.m. weekdays throughout the semester.
Resources for Faculty and Staff
- Faculty and Staff Assistance Program ( FSAP@american.edu, 202-885-2593)
- AHealthyU workshops for self-care
Many people have come forward looking for ways to help here on campus. We will be launching a donation drive in the coming week and will share more information on our website and via social media