Student-Athlete Support Program
- Thinking and Learning Opportunities for New Student-Athletes (TALONS) Workshops help first-year student-athletes understand and cope with academic, social, athletic, and personal pressures related to the transition to AU. TALONS provides new student-athletes with practical academic and communication strategies to adjust to college academics and athletics.
- Leadership Development Workshop Series
- The Financial Literacy Program helps students develop financial literacy skills around topics such as savings, banking, financing higher education, investing, payment types, and credit scores. Through an online class, students completes this interactive course, helping them to improve their financial health.
- Career Boot Camp helps junior and senior student-athletes begin building the skills needed for entering the professional workforce. It is designed to help student-athletes understand the beginning stages of professional career management. Topics covered include: managing your job search, searching for positions, resumes, cover letters, selling your athletic experience, LinkedIn, social media, networking, interviewing, and salary negotiation.
- Individual resume development and review with a staff member are available.
- As students begin their career search, partnering with AU Career Center and the Kogod Center for Career Development, is critical. Both the Career Center and KCCD host job fairs and industry days. Students can also use the self assessment tools to explore their interests and strengths/weaknesses as a path toward a career.
- Senior etiquette dinner gives student-athletes the opportunity to dine at a fine DC restaurant while learning proper etiquette from a professional protocol teacher, which can benefit students during job interviews.