Sexual Assault Working Group
News and Announcements
- Progress Report on Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention Task Force Recommendations
- SAWG Announces OASIS
About the Working Group
- Assistant VP of Campus Life and Dean of Students Rob Hradsky chairs the Sexual Assault Working Group (SAWG). The Group is charged with (1) ensuring continuity in sexual assault prevention commitments and (2) continuing to shape AU’s intervention strategies consistent with the White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault and the Violence Against Women Act Reauthorization Act of 2013. The committee’s work is transparent, as are the data gathered on students’ experiences with sexual violence and on the effectiveness of the measures we implement. Recommendations formulated by Student Government are integrated into the SAWG agenda.
- In Spring 2015, the Sexual Assault Working Group:
- Heightened the visibility of victim advocate services by branding victim advocacy services “OASIS”- Office of Advocacy Services for Interpersonal & Sexual violence in the Wellness Center;
- Developed a flowchart to guide students through confidential and non-confidential resources;
- Expanded information brochures to address sexual assault, domestic violence and stalking;
- Viewed a selection of online educational programs on sexual violence to identify the best alternatives for our campus community; recommend that the campus community adopt the Think About It program.
- Expanded web resources to explain the role of victim advocates and better articulate the resources available to students; and
- Proposed additions to the Student Conduct Code and Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Policy that are currently under review.
- Town Hall Meetings on Sexual Assault Prevention are hosted twice annually by SAWG. The Fall 2015 Town Hall Meeting is scheduled Monday, Oct. 5, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m., Letts Formal Lounge.
Charge, Steering Committee, and Subcommittee Structure, 2014-2015
Charge: The Sexual Assault Working Group (SAWG) is charged with reviewing the university's efforts on issues of sexual assault, relationship violence, domestic violence, and stalking, especially as it relates to student advocacy and support, campus awareness and education, university policies and procedures, and assessment. The Working Group will assess current efforts, identify areas for improvement, and make recommendations to the Vice President of Campus Life to ensure that our campus approach is comprehensive, effective, and compliant with Title IX and the Campus SaVE Act.
Reports to: Dr. Gail Hanson, Vice President of Campus Life
Chair: Dr. Rob Hradsky, Assistant Vice President of Campus Life and Dean of Students
Contact the Sexual Assault Working Group at SAWG@american.edu.