Skip to main content

Student Health Center

Psychiatric Care

How do I schedule my psychiatric appointment?

To schedule an initial appointment, simply call us at 202.885.3380, press 1 & 3.

What should I bring with me for my first visit?
To make the most of your initial psychiatric appointment, please bring the names and contact information for any mental health care providers you have recently seen, as well as the names and dosages of medications you have been prescribed. 

If you have recently seen a mental health care provider, you'll be asked to fill out a release of information form so that the SHC can request your medical records from your previous provider. If you have copies of your medical records, please bring them with you.

What happens if there is an emergency after hours?
After hours mental health care emergencies are handled by the Counseling Center.  

On-campus residents who feel they're experiencing an emergency that represents a threat to safety or life should contact AU's Department of Public Safety at 202.885.3636. Public Safety will contact a Counseling Center counselor for an emergency consultation.

Students who live off campus and feel they're experiencing an emergency that represents a threat to safety or life should contact their emergency response services, dial 911, or head to the nearest hospital emergency room.  

Are my visit and records confidential?
All medical records are treated as confidential information under applicable federal and state laws as well as university policies. 

What is the cost for psychiatric care?
As it is a specialized service, there are different fees associated with psychiatric care at the SHC. An initial visit of 45 minutes costs $75, while a 20-minute, follow-up visit costs $35.

What happens if I can't afford psychiatric care?
If you can't afford psychiatric care, give us a call to schedule a meeting with our Director or Associate to discuss payment plan options. We're here to help and make sure you get the care you need.

I am currently taking medication for ADD of ADHD. How can I get my prescription filled at the Student Health Center?
In order to obtain your prescription for ADD or ADHD medication from the SHC, you have to submit documentation of testing and treatment to the SHC psychiatric nurse practitioner in advance. After the psychiatric nurse practitioner reviews your documentation, an SHC staff member will call you to schedule an appointment. Please review the Documentation Guidelines for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder section of our website for more information on the required documentation.

I am currently taking psychiatric medication and all I need is a refill. Can I do that at the Student Health Center?
If you're currently taking psychiatric medications and need a refill, you'll have to schedule an initial appointment with the psychiatric nurse practitioner. Based on your medical history, the psychiatric nurse practitioner will decide if your prescription can be obtained from the SHC or if you will be referred to a mental health care provider in the community for on-going treatment.