Summer Conference Emergency Preparedness
Safety Information for Conference Coordinators
AU Housing & Dining Programs is committed to proactively addressing the issue of Emergency Preparedness on campus for all of its summer guests. In order to achieve this, we must enlist the help of our Conference Coordinators and guests. This page will provide resources that we hope will help you prepare for those rare emergencies.
Please note, the Emergency Preparedness Planning Guide is a resource we encourage ALL Conference Coordinators to use. It is important to arrive to campus with a clear plan on how you will address emergencies that may occur with members of your program. It will also help you prepare in the rare event of a university emergency. Upon your arrival, your assigned AU Conference Manager will ask you for some basic information, such as the emergency contact for the group, etc. Please use the resources below to plan ahead:
Campus Safety and Security
American University has its own Department of Public Safety with officers trained and deputized by the Metropolitan Police Department. The Public Safety officers serve as the University’s first line of emergency and crisis response. Public Safety officers work very closely with the summer staff in maintaining a safe living and campus atmosphere for our summer guests. In addition, emergency phones and blue lights are located throughout campus for individuals to report issues of safety and security if necessary.
Residence Hall Safety
- Each side of the American University campus has at least one residence hall desk that is open and staffed 24 hours a day for increased security of the halls. Campus Hosts are easily identifiable by their staff uniform and nametag while working at the desk. Summer guests are required to display their Summer Guest Card to the Campus Host at the desk each time they enter the building for increased safety measures in the hall.
- In addition to the residence hall 24 hour desk, there is also a Campus Host "on call" overnight to address any situation that needs University attention. The Campus Host has access to the professional staff member on duty, as well, in the event of an emergency.
- Campus Hosts walk through all of the residence halls each night, to ensure that safety and guest policies are being followed for the good of all staying with us.
- We require all residential conference guests to provide an emergency contact person at check-in in case of emergency situations.
- Evacuation procedures are posted in each building and should be followed closely in the event of an emergency. American University staff will be on hand to assist with any emergency procedures and all summer conference guests must follow instructions for their safety and the safety of others. Residence halls must be evacuated in the event of an emergency.