The Winter Break 2016: Break Housing Accommodation Request Form and the Nebraska Hall and Berkshire Apartment Winter Break Residency Intent Forms will be available 10 a.m., Thursday, December 1, 2016 through 12 p.m. on Friday, December 16, 2016.
Main Campus Residents (Except Nebraska Hall and Berkshire Apartments)
Residents must make arrangements to depart for winter break within 24 hours of their last final exam. *
- All main campus residence halls except Leonard Hall will close at 12 p.m. (noon) on Wednesday, December 21, 2016*. Only residents of Leonard who have applied for and been communicated a confirmation of Winter Break accommodations are authorized in the building after the campus closure.
- * Students who are participating in December graduation will be extended a later departure deadline of 12 p.m. (noon) on Thursday, December 22, 2016. Students eligible for graduation per the registrar's office will receive separate correspondence asking to confirm if they require the housing extension. Those do not complete the request will be expected to vacate according to the deadline.
- Students in need of housing accommodations during the Winter Break period are required to apply for Winter Break 2016: Break Housing Accommodations through the request form. Break housing accommodations will only be offered in Leonard Hall only.
- Mail/Parcel delivery will end the day before (December 20, 2016). We will begin accepting mail and packages for the Spring 2016 semester on Monday, January 9, 2017. Anything received before this date will not be accepted.
The halls will re-open for the spring semester for returning students at 3 p.m. on Sunday, January 8, 2017.
- Alternative Winter Break housing accommodations are available for students whose academic year residence halls will close for Winter Break and is on a first-come, first-served basis based on application date.
- Are only available to students who have Spring 2017 on-campus housing assignments.
- Requests are only considered for stay between 12 p.m. on Wednesday, December 21, 2016, through 12 p.m. on Sunday, January 8, 2017.
- Checking In: You may check in for your winter break assignment between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ONLY, any day of the week (during the course of the Winter Break Housing period), with the exception of Sunday, December 25 (Christmas Day). You must check in at the Leonard Hall front desk and have your AU One Card (ID card).
- Confirmation and Assignment: You will receive a confirmation of your request and additional check-in instructions on Monday, December 12 or 72 hours after your application, whichever comes later. You will receive your winter housing assignment room number at check-in.
- Rates and Minimum Stay: Rates will be at $50 per night for a double occupancy space and you will be charged a minimum fee of $350 or seven (7) days. Billing for your stay will post to your student account after checkout and within the first two (2) weeks of the spring semester.
- Terms and Conditions:
- All applicants are expected to sign a Winter Break housing agreement upon checking in.
- All rules and regulations outlined in The Student Code of Conduct are applicable.
- Housing & Dining Programs reserves the right to remove any resident from Winter Break Housing if deemed necessary as indicated in the Housing License Agreement.
Cancellations must be made in writing by Friday, December 9, 2016, or a $50 administrative charge will be assessed.
- During Your Stay:
- Staff contact and emergency information for the break will be posted at the Leonard Hall desk, and the Department of Public Safety can be contacted at any time for assistance at 202-885-2527 (Emergency: 202-885-3636).
- Some food locations on campus may be closed or have reduced hours during the break. For more information, you may refer to AU Dining Services.
- Shuttle services may be modified during the break. For more information, you may refer to the Shuttle Services website.
- There is no access to the main campus residence halls, except for Leonard Hall and Nebraska Hall, during any portion of the winter break.
- Residents must provide their own linen and bedding and should plan accordingly.
- Main campus complex desks (Anderson, McDowell, and Nebraska) will reopen at 9 a.m. on Sunday, January 8, 2017 for winter break residents to move back into their spring assignments. All other residents may check back into their spring assignments at 3 p.m.
- Winter Break Accommodation to Spring Assignment Transition: Winter break residents MUST move to their spring assignment rooms with all personal belongings no later than 12 p.m. (noon) on Sunday, January 8, 2017. There are no exceptions to this deadline. Winter break residents will receive checkout instructions at check-in and/or during the break.
Nebraska Hall Residents
Nebraska Hall will remain open over winter break for resident occupancy. Please note that the front desk will be closed and will not reopen until 9 a.m. on January 8, 2017. Please make sure that if you will be in Nebraska Hall for any time between December 21, 2016 and January 8, 2017 that you complete the Nebraska Hall Winter Break Residency Intent Form.
If you are planning on terminating your housing for the spring semester, you will need to vacate your apartment by 12 p.m. noon on December 21, 2016*. Students must properly check out of their assignment by contacting their RA. Please see noted exception above for graduating seniors.
Berkshire Apartments Residents
Students living at the Berkshire Apartments (through Housing & Dining Programs) are not required to leave their apartments for winter break, as long as they are scheduled to be living on campus for Spring 2017.
Please make sure that you complete the Berkshire Apartment Winter Break Residency Intent Form if you will be occupying your apartment for any time between December 21, 2016 and January 8, 2017.
If you are planning on terminating your housing for the spring semester, you will need to vacate your apartment by 12 p.m. noon on December 21, 2016. Students must properly check out of their assignment by contacting their Community Coordinator.