Skip to main content


Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
Fax: 202-885-3354
Butler Pavilion, Room 410

ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Bakar, Senem S
Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
410 Butler Pavilion
Washington, DC, USA 20016-8041

Financial Proof

Issuance of Immigration Documents

All students are required to demonstrate financial ability to pay for at least one year of academic and living expenses before being issued an immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019) by American University. Additionally, a deposit is generally required before any immigration document is issued (for more information on deposits, contact your admissions office).

Step 1: Determine the Cost of the First Year of Your Program of Study

There are different costs for each AU program of study. To find the costs of the first year of your program of study please see our Cost Guides page.

Step 2: Complete the Certification of Finances for International Students (CFIS) Form

After you have determined the cost of your program of study, please fill out the following form:

Step 3: Gather Supporting Financial Documents to Attach to the CFIS Form

All supporting financial documents must be in English or accompanied by a notarized English translation showing available liquidable funds. The financial documents cannot be older than three months at the time of submission to American University in order to be considered valid. Appropriate documents reflecting financial ability include, but are not limited to, the following:  

  • Bank Letter, stamped and signed by a bank official, and specifies the date, monetary currency, and name of the account holder.  
  • American University scholarship or graduate merit award letter
  • Signed letter from the U.S. Government, Home Government, International Organization, Company, or Employer on government or organizational letterhead specifying dates, amount, monetary currency, and terms of sponsorship.
  • An individual sponsor who is not a U.S. citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, or non-immigrant legally present in the U.S., must sign the CFIS Form and attach supporting financial documents.
  • An individual sponsor who is a U.S. citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, or non-immigrant legally present in the U.S., must submit a completed I-134 Affidavit of Support Form with supporting financial documents. Please Note: Under item #7, please do not submit a copy of your last income tax return.

Examples of supporting financial documents

Please note that these supporting financial documents will also be required at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate when you apply for your visa.

Step 4: Submit the CFIS Form and the Supporting Financial Documents to Your Admission Office

Submit the completed CFIS Form (along with Attachment A if needed) and supporting financial documents to your ADMISSION OFFICE.

For questions on how to fill out the form(s), you can contact your admission office or ISSS at (202) 885-3350.