Bringing J1 Student Interns to AU
If you’re a faculty or staff member looking to invite a student intern from overseas to our campus community, that’s great news. We’re very excited that you’re helping promote diversity on AU's campus. There are a number of steps you’ll have to follow to get the ball rolling. Find those steps below.
A - Steps For Host Department To Follow Prior To Issuance of DS-2019:
- Memorandum of Agreement between home institution and AU
- AU internship supervisor puts together:
- Definition of internship
- Application requirements
- Admission/acceptance letter
- Enter student intern into Datatel (J1 category is Student Intern) and generate student ID number which goes on DS-2019
- The prospective intern submits the following packet to the internship advisor:
- Completed Exchange Visitor Application Form
- Signed DS-7002
- Proof of insurance (letter from insurance company)
- Financial documents: A minimum of $1,600/month must be available to meet the estimated minimum expenses. Exchange Visitors who will not receive financial support from American University must submit current bank statements or other financial documents verifying their ability to support themselves (and dependents, if applicable) for the duration of their stay in the United States. If the prospective intern will be accompanied by dependents, additional support will be required: $5,500/year minimum for spouse, $4,000/year for each child.
- Proof of English ability (TOEFL or equivalent)
- The J1 coordinator submits the items in section 3 with a cover page including Student intern’s AU ID number to ISSS for a DS-2019 to be issued
B - Steps to Follow After Issuance of DS-2019
The department J1 coordinator sends the following documents to the student intern (via Fed Ex, DHL, or other courier):
- Acceptance letter
- Estimated cost sheet
- Original Form DS-2019 (the form number is in the lower left corner) - please note that the State Department regulations prohibit sending a copy of the DS-2019 via scan or fax.
- Original Form DS-7002
- Information on the mandatory SEVIS fee and payment procedure
- Information sheet on applying for a non-immigrant visa
- A fact sheet for visa holders regarding employment
- A brochure about the Exchange Visitor Program
C - J1 VISA APPLICATION
Student Intern must follow the protocol mentioned in the Pre-Arrival & Orientation Guide to apply for J1 visa.