ISSS required offers sessions throughout the semester for F-1 students who are applying for Optional Practical Training. At these sessions, students learn about:
- the documents and forms required for the OPT application and how to complete them,
- the rights and responsibilities of students engaged in OPT,
- the deadlines and processing time of OPT applications,
- travel restrictions on OPT, and
- other issues pertaining to OPT.
Before you apply for OPT, you must attend one OPT session so that you understand how to make a timely and accurate application for OPT.
Students are encouraged to attend an OPT session 3 to 4 months before they graduate or want their OPT to begin due to the time it takes for USCIS to approve OPT applications.
Registration for OPT sessions is done on-line, by clicking the link below. You will need your AU log-in (same as you use for my.american.edu):
Note that OPT is for students on F-1 visas only; students on J-1 visas should refer to information on J-1 employment options.