Contact Us


Fax: 202-885-3354

ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Bakar, Senem S
Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Butler Pavilion, Room 410

Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs 4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
410 Butler Pavilion
Washington, DC, USA 20016-8041 United States

Back to top

STEM OPT Extension

A 24-month extension of post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) is available for F-1 students with a degree in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) field.


Student must have:


USCIS must receive the STEM OPT extension application before the expiration of the student's current post-completion OPT, but no sooner than 90 days before that date.

To apply for the 24-month STEM OPT extension, please email ISSS at to discuss your eligibility and timeline for applying.

You will need the following materials in order to apply:

  • Form I-983 (PDF)
  • Form I-765 (PDF)
  • Proof of STEM Degree (transcript or diploma)
  • Copy of I-20 with STEM OPT recommendation from ISSS
  • Copy of your valid passport
  • Copy of your F-1 visa
  • Copy of most recent I-94
  • Copy of all I-20s
  • Copy of previous Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card(s)
  • Two passport-size photographs
  • Check or money order for $410 made payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Frequently Asked Questions

Students with a STEM OPT extension must validate their employment with ISSS every 6 months. To do so, please fill out the "STEM OPT Reporting" e-form on iEagle

An annual evaluation is due at the end of each year of the STEM OPT extension. Students must complete and submit the Evaluation of Student Program portion of the I-983 to ISSS. Please note that for the annual evaluation, students need only to submit page 6 of the form.

Yes, your job on STEM OPT must be paid.

Yes, if you have not already received a STEM OPT extension based on that degree. 

The STEM degree must be from a U.S. institution, received within the last 10 years, and be at the bachelor's level or higher.