Campus Life Logo

International Student & Scholar Services


  • Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
    Fax: 202-885-3354
    Butler Pavilion, Room 410

    ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m.

    Bakar, Senem S
    Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Mailing Address

Social Security Number

A Social Security card and number are essential to working in the United States as it’s required for anyone to receive payment. To apply for a Social Security number, you must be able to prove that you are legally authorized for employment and have a paid job.

If you or your dependent(s) are not eligible for a Social Security number, you may need to apply for an ITIN (Independent Taxpayer Identification Number). Please see our ITIN page for more information on ITIN. For additional information please see the Social Security Administration fact sheet on International Students and Social Security Numbers

For step-by-step instructions on applying for a Social Security Card, please follow the links below: