Skip to main content

International Student & Scholar Services

State and Local Taxes


If you are required to file federal income tax forms, you are also required to file state or local tax forms if you live in Washington, DC, Virginia, or Maryland

Nonresident international students can complete federal tax forms through Glacier Tax Preparation, but must complete state or district tax forms separately.

The information below is intended to provide general information on federal and state income taxes for international students. This resource guide does not constitute legal advice or an endorsement of tax professionals. ISSS advisors are not tax specialists and are unable to provide you with tax advice. We recommend that students check all information with IRS resources or a professional Certified Public Account (CPA).

Taxes are complicated even for U.S. citizens and the tax laws change yearly. If you have questions about your taxes please seek professional assistance from an accountant or CPA.

If you worked or had taxable income from scholarships or other sources

You are responsible for filing both federal and state (or District) tax forms.

The links below will help you with filing for your state taxes. This is based on where you lived during 2015.

District of Columbia (DC):

DC Tax Forms

DC Individual Income Tax Service Center

DC Tax Help


State Tax Forms

State Tax Help


State Tax Forms

State Tax Help