To Pay By U.S. Check/Money Order/Foreign Draft (by mail only)
1. Go to the SEVIS payment web site and enter your name (as it appears on your I-20), SEVIS number (on the top right corner of your I-20 or DS-2019 - it is a 10 digit number beginning with the letter "N"), and birth day in mm/dd/yyyy format (month/day/year)
2. Click the link "Paper Form I-901 (PDF)," then print the form. The American University codes are:
a. For I-20s - the school code is WAS214F00022000 (#2 on the I-20).
b. For DS-2019s - the program number P100835 (#2 on the DS-2019).
3. Prepare a U.S. check, international money order or foreign draft (drawn on US banks only) in the required amount, made payable to "The Department of Homeland Security." Also, be sure to print your name and SEVIS ID number in the lower left-hand corner of the check, money order or bank draft.
4. Mail the completed I-901 and payment to the address listed on Form I-901 Instructions.
5. Form I-797 receipt notice should be mailed within 3 days of processing the fee. Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.
Many foreign banks are able to issue checks or money orders drawn on a U.S. bank. You may therefore obtain a check from: 1) a bank chartered or operated in the United States; b) a foreign subsidiary of a U.S. bank, or c) a foreign bank that has an arrangement with a U.S. bank to issue a check, money order, or foreign draft that is drawn on a U.S. bank.
In case of visa application denials:
If the F-1 or J-1 visa application is denied, the SEVIS fee will not be refunded. However, if you reapply for a new visa within 12 months of the denial, you will not have to pay the fee again.
Help with fee payment issues:
If you are having a problem with the SEVIS fee payment process please visit the following website: