Skip to main content

International Student & Scholar Services


Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
Fax: 202-885-3354
Butler Pavilion, Room 410

ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Bakar, Senem S
Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
410 Butler Pavilion
Washington, DC, USA 20016-8041

Travel and Re-Entry

Immigration Responsibilities

When you travel outside the United States, the following documents will be needed to re-enter the U.S. and may be requested by the U.S. Immigration service inspector at the port of entry.

Documents needed:

  • Valid I-20 or DS-2019
  • ISSS travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 that covers the period you will travel and return to the U.S.
  • Valid passport and visa
  • SEVIS I-901 Payment Confirmation form (can be printed from at any time)
  • Financial documents dated within the past three (3) months to cover at least one full academic year
  • University transcripts (Available from the Registrar's Office - allow several days)
  • Proof of current semester registration (Available from the Registrar's Office- allow several days)

Further documentations, if applicable:

  • Proof of pre-registration for the next semester (Available from the Registrar's Office - allow several days)
  • Reduced Course Load or forms signed by an ISSS advisor and your academic advisor for any semester you were registered less than full-time
  • Copy of Leave of Absence form
  • Original Employment Authorization Document (EAD card for OPT)
  • Letter of Employment from employer if on OPT

Also, please check the following web sites for additional information on travel:

U.S. Embassies overseas

Please be aware that the U.S. Immigration service inspector may ask many questions to verify whether you are a student making normal progress toward your program.

For more information, contact ISSS at 202-885-3350 or email: