Skip to main content


Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
Fax: 202-885-3354
Butler Pavilion, Room 410

ISSS office walk-in advising hours: Mondays: 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Bakar, Senem S
Director, International Student & Scholar Services

Int'l Student / Scholar Svcs
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
410 Butler Pavilion
Washington, DC, USA 20016-8041

On-Campus Employment: F-1 and J-1 Students

Working on-campus can be an excellent way to enhance your time here at AU. From meeting more students, faculty, and staff to engaging with the university on a professional level, on-campus work positions make a great addition to the AU experience.

F-1 and J-1 students, who are registered full-time and in good academic standing, are allowed to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. During winter and summer vacations students can be authorized to work full-time.

Before you begin employment you will need to:

  1. Log on to iEagle (located under Academics in your personalized links of the MyAU Portal). Fill out and submit the On-Campus Employment e-form under Current Student. ISSS will process your request for authorization and notify AU Human Resources when your authorization has been processed. You will need to obtain the on-campus employment authorization each semester and vacation period you will work.
  2. Schedule an appointment with a foreign national tax specialist in AU’s payroll office. Make an appointment on-line.
  3. Apply for a Social Security Card, if you do not already have one. Please see the Social Security information page for more information about the application process.
  4. File tax forms in April. Anyone employed in the US is responsible for filing national, state, and local tax forms in April of the following year (even if you have left the U.S. before April). More information is available on our tax page.

Remember: you must have written authorization before you can begin working. Starting work without this written permission is a serious violation of your immigration status. If your DS-2019 was issued by another organization please consult your J-1 program Responsible Officer.