Office Hours: During the school year: Monday-Friday 9 AM to 9 PM Summer: Monday-Friday 9 AM to 5 PM
In addition to the worship services provided by our member communities, the Office of the University Chaplain provides a number of regular services throughout the academic year including our Interfaith Chapel Services and our Signature Services.
Interfaith Chapel Services
During the school year, at noon on the first Wednesday of the month, the Office of the University Chaplain leads an interfaith service of prayer and reflection. It is a space for the university community-students, faculty, and staff-to come together to reflect on events on our campus, in our nation, and in our world.
The services are interfaith but not in a "lowest common denominator" kind of way. They include elements of authentic tradition from our member communities as a way of reflecting from multiple perspectives on the issues we're exploring. In addition, a service like this can be a powerful witness for unity in diversity.
We invite you to join us for our monthly chapel services. Everyone is welcome regardless of religious background or lack thereof.
☛ Read the meditations given in our interfaith chapel services.
Throughout the year, we take time to reflect on the life and work of an individual or movement and explore what lessons can be learned today. For years, we have observed a service of remembrance for Monsignor Oscar Romero, the martyred Archbishop of El Salvador whose work for social and economic justice continues to inspire us today. We have recently added a service commemorating the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and will add other services throughout the year to give us the opportunity to reflect on the examples of people who lived out the values American University cherishes.
- MLK Interfaith Chapel Service, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Oscar Romero Celebration, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 11 a.m., Kay Chapel, lunch to follow at noon in Kay Lounge
The Kay Spiritual Life Center is home to nearly two dozen religious communities with over 20 worship services a week. Our regularly occurring weekly worship services are detailed below:
- Baptist & International Ministry Prayer, 10:00 a.m., Kay Lounge (select Sundays)
- Catholic Mass, 11:00 a.m., Kay Chapel
- Qur'an Study*, 2:30 p.m., Kay Lounge
- United Methodist-Protestant Worship, 7:00 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Catholic Mass, 9:00 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Orthodox Christian Vespers, 5:30 p.m., Kay Chapel & Lounge
- Catholic Mass, 6:00 p.m., Kay Chapel
- SGI Buddhist Chanting, 7:00 p.m., Kay Lounge
- Catholic Eucharistic Adoration**, 8:00 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Catholic Mass, 5:00 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Episcopal/Anglican Service, 6:15 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Quaker Meeting, 8:00 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Interfaith Chapel Service, 12:00 p.m. (1st Wed. of month), Kay Chapel
- Secular Humanist Meeting, 4:00 p.m., Kay Lounge
- Graduate InterVarsity Fellowship, 4:00 p.m., TBD
- Buddhist Insight Meditation, 4:30 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Catholic Mass, 6:00 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Every Nation Campus, 8:30 p.m., Kay Lounge
- Catholic Mass, 5:30 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship Worship, 8:15 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Cru Meeting, 8:30 p.m., MGC 245
- United Methodist Healing Service, 11:00 p.m., Kay Chapel
- Muslim Prayers***, 1:15 p.m., Kay Lounge
- Muslim Prayers***, 2:20 p.m., Kay Lounge
- Jewish Shabbat Services, 6:00 p.m., Kay Chapel & Lounge
- Bahá'í Devotional Meeting, 7:30 p.m. (1st & 3rd Fridays), Kay Lounge
TO BE ANNOUNCED: Interfaith Council and Unitarian Universalist Meetings.
* Qur'an Study meets every other week beginning September 3, 2017
**Catholic Holy Hour occurs weekly beginning September 11, 2017
***Muslim students may also pray individually in the Muslim Prayer Room located in the lower level of Kay Spiritual Life Center on the east side.
Kay Chapel held 839 worship services in 2016-2017
Worship services normally do not take place over the summer, but you can find a host of other nearby options.