University Center Student Employment
Are you looking for an on-campus job that's exciting and challenging?
Do you like interacting with other people and making a difference?
Are you interested in making an impact on our campus community?
The University Center is seeking a diverse staff of dedicated and enthusiastic students with strong communication skills and leadership potential to serve as student staff assistants in a variety of roles. Approximately 30 work-study and regular wage students are employed to work in the many areas overseen by the University Center professional staff. Students typically work between 10-12 hours per week although there are students who work as few as 6 hours and as many as 20 hours per week.
The University Center Student Staff Team
The University Center is successful due in part to our staff members playing an important role in representing American University to the community, alumni, and guests. They assist in supporting the AU community through direct and indirect customer-focused services. Also as a member of the student staff, you are in a unique position to stay informed about events and activities on campus, meet student and administrative leaders and faculty members, influence the direction of student-led programs, shape the quality of student life on campus, and help mold the university's image among those who are visiting and inquiring about our campus. Employment with the University Center student staff team will help develop students as active, responsible, dependable, and civil members of the University community.
The University Center student staff team functions as the operating staff of the Mary Graydon Center, Butler Pavilion, and other campus meeting rooms. Along with providing customer service and information to thousands of visitors a year, the University Center student staff team also helps to support logistical and technical aspects of events in the University Center footprint. The students are easily recognized by their University Center polo shirts and their client-friendly nature!
Student Employment Application Process
The University Center only hires currently enrolled American University students. In order to apply, you must complete the online application available on this website. You must include work schedule availability, specifically dates and times you are able to work or attach a copy of your current semester class schedule. Graduate students must submit a cover letter and resume for consideration. Once applications are submitted, you may receive an interview
depending on a match in schedule availability.
Qualifications to be a UC Student Employee
- Can work independently and take initiative
- Be able to work with people of diverse backgrounds
- Communicates ideas clearly to other staff and supervisors
- Have the general knowledge of the university and its facilities
- Be outgoing and pleasant and possess a positive attitude
- Maintain good academic and discipline standings
- Has an interest in growing personally and professionally
- Have the availability to work to match our schedule
- Extra income
- Ability to work on campus with a diverse staff
- Scheduling flexibility
- Network with other staff members, faculty, and student
- Increased knowledge of university resources
- Experience to develop a resume by learning and enhancing skills applicable to career goals and objectives
- Develop leadership skills
- Increase involvement in student life on-campus
General Hours of Operation – Academic Year
Student Building Managers
Monday – Friday – 7:30 am – 12 am
Saturday – 9 am – 8 pm
Sunday – 9 am – 12 am
Sunday – Thursday – 9 am – 8 pm
Friday – Saturday – 9 am – 6 pm
University Center Office Staff
Monday – Friday – 9 am – 5 pm
General Hours of Operation – Summer*
Monday – Friday – 8 am – 8 pm
* Summer staff members work in a combined role as Student Building Managers/Information Desk Attendants