- AU Community
- Michael Elmore, Senior Director, University Center & Student Activities
- Mary Graydon Center Late-Night Access
Welcome back students, faculty and staff!
As you may know, all campus buildings have remote lockdown capabilities for increased security. Many buildings require the use of a valid AU One Card (AU Identification Card) to gain entrance after certain hours. Responding to thoughtful feedback from students, faculty and staff about campus safety, it has been determined that the Mary Graydon Center will also require a valid One Card to gain entrance after hours. Here are the details:
- Beginning on the evening of January 9 into January 10, all exterior doors to Mary Graydon will be locked at midnight.
- From 12 a.m. until 6 a.m. every day, seven days a week, anyone entering Mary Graydon will need to use their One Card to swipe in.
- The available doors will be the accessible door at the main Quad entrance and the doors into Mary Graydon from the parking garage on all floors.
- All exits from the building will be operational.
For this protocol to work in increasing security, we will need your help with the following:
- Everyone should carry your valid One Card when on campus.
- If your One Card is lost or stolen, report it right away.
- The doors should never be propped open, and access should not be granted by One Card holders to unknown individuals. Take the time to ask, "Do you have your One Card?"
- Anyone in the building who leaves during these hours should take their One Card with them in order to return between 12 a.m. and 6 a.m.
- Persons without a One Card in the building should be a guest of an AU faculty, staff or student.
This protocol will be evaluated at the end of the Spring semester. For questions or to provide feedback, please email MGC@american.edu.