Creating Your AU User Name and Password
Faculty and Staff Instructions
Every AU faculty or staff member receives a unique user name that provides access to AU's various on-line resources. If you are a new faculty or staff member, you will need to follow these steps to create your user name:
- Open a Web browser and go to myAU.american.edu/accounts
- Click the I AM UNIVERSITY FACULTY OR STAFF link.
- Select START THE ACCOUNT CREATION PROCESS.
- Enter the following personal information when prompted:
- your seven-digit AU ID number, which can be obtained from your departmental Human Resources coordinator (required)
- your name (required)
- one of the following: (required)
- the last four digits of your social security number
- your date of birth in the format of MMDDYYYY
- Your new username and e-mail address will be displayed on the screen - you should record this information for future reference.
- You will be asked to agree to AU's technology policies and then to enter your choice of an initial password which you will be required to change every 90 days.
- You will be encouraged to choose a secret question and answer for verification purposes if you ever forget your password.
- You will also be offered the opportunity to forward your AU e-mail to an external e-mail account. Note that if you do forward your e-mail, we will not be keeping a copy of your messages here, but strictly forwarding them on.
The system will take a moment to create your user name. When you see the message stating that your user name has been successfully created, you are ready to log in to the myAU.american.edu portal for the first time.
Tip: If are not able to log into your AU e-mail account immediately, please wait ten minutes then try again. If it still does not work, log in to myAU.american.edu, click on the TECHNOLOGY link, and then click SYNCHRONIZE PASSWORDS. Wait ten minutes and your problem should be resolved.
Tip: New accounts cannot log into Blackboard immediately until an update process has run, which happens several times per day.