Creating Your AU User Name and Password
Every AU student receives a unique user name that provides access to AU's various on-line resources. If you are a new student, you will need to follow these steps to create your user name:
- Open a Web browser and go to myAU.american.edu/accounts
- Click the I AM A STUDENT link.
- Select START THE ACCOUNT CREATION PROCESS.
- Enter the following personal information when prompted:
- your seven-digit AU ID number, which can be found on any official document from the university (required)
- your name (required)
- one of the following: (required)
- the last four digits of your social security number
- your date of birth in the format of MMDDYYYY
- the last four digits of your home telephone number
- Your new username and e-mail address will be displayed on the screen - you should record this information for future reference.
- You will be asked to agree to AU's technology policies and then to enter your choice of an initial password which you will be required to change every 90 days.
- You will also be encouraged to choose a secret question and answer for verification purposes if you ever forget your password.
The system will take a moment to create your user name. When you see the message stating that your user name has been successfully created, you are ready to log in to the myAU.american.edu portal for the first time.
At this point, the portal will display your user name, your AU sponsored Gmail account e-mail address, and your temporary Gmail password. You should go to the AU Gmail website at mail.student.american.edu and select a new password.
Tip: New accounts cannot log into Blackboard immediately until an update process has run, which happens several times per day.
Important: Your AU user name will continue to be active as long as you are registered for classes or maintaining matriculation. If you graduate or stop maintaining matriculation, the data you have stored on the network will be deleted and access to systems may be reduced at the end of the next semester's add/drop registration period. You may retain your "student.american.edu" e-mail address, although this may transition to an alumni address over time.