Accessing Your AU E-mail using Mail for OS X
Faculty and Staff Instructions
Verifying Your Mail Server
Before you configure Mail for OS X, you will need to know the name of your AU e-mail server. If your incoming mail server is not AUMAIL4 you will not be able to connect using Mail for OS X.
Contact the Help Desk if you are unsure of your mail server, or if you need to request that your mail be moved to AUMAIL4.
Configuring Mail for OS X
- When you open MAIL for the first time, it will bring up the WELCOME TO MAIL screen.
- If there is already an account set up, open the MAIL menu and select PREFERENCES. Then, click on the ACCOUNTS tab. Click the plus-sign button in the bottom left.
- Enter your FULL NAME and your E-MAIL ADDRESS in the format of firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We recommend leaving the PASSWORD field blank for security. Then, click the CONTINUE button.
- Select IMAP from the ACCOUNT TYPE drop-down menu.
- For INCOMING MAIL SERVER, type aumail4.american.edu
- Type your USER NAME in the appropriate field. We recommend leaving the PASSWORD field blank for security.
- Click Continue. Mail will attempt to log in to AUMAIL4 with your account. If the password field was blank in the previous step, you will see a warning message. Click CONTINUE.
- Verify that USE SECURE SOCKETS LAYER (SSL) is checked and PASSWORD is selected for the USE AUTHENTICATION. Click CONTINUE.
- Enter mailout.american.edu for your OUTGOING MAIL SERVER, and select USE ONLY THIS SERVER.
- Check the USE AUTHENTICATION box and enter your USER NAME. Again, we recommend leaving the PASSWORD field blank for security, but you can enter your password here if you prefer. Click CONTINUE. If you did not provide a password for the account, you will see a warning. Click CONTINUE.
- Verify that USE SECURE SOCKETS LAYER (SSL) is checked for OUTGOING MAIL SECURITY and PASSWORD is selected for the USE AUTHENTICATION. Click CONTINUE.
- The next screen should show you an account summary like the one below (but with your user name and incoming mail server). Select TAKE ACCOUNT ONLINE, then click CREATE.
- Close the Accounts window.
- You will be prompted for your password if you did not enter it earlier. Click the GET MAIL button along the top of the Mail window to download your email.
- If are not able to log into your AU e-mail, log in to myau.american.edu, click on the TECHNOLOGY link, and then click SYNCHRONIZE MY PASSWORDS. Wait ten minutes and your problem should be resolved.
- If you still experience login problems, try changing the short version of your user name to your complete name with a space between the First and Last names. For example, if someone with the user name smith tries to login to IMAP, the server will see several people with the last name of Smith and it will not know who to select. If Smith logs in with the full name John Smith, the server will find only a single match.