Configuring Outlook 2010
Connecting to Your AU-Sponsored Gmail Account
Please follow the instructions below to enable IMAP access to your AU-sponsored Gmail account:
- Log into mail.student.american.edu.
- Click SETTINGS and FORWARDING AND POP/IMAP.
- Scroll down and select ENABLE IMAP.
- Then, click SAVE CHANGES from the bottom of the page.
Please follow the instructions below to configure Outlook 2010 to access your AU-sponsored Gmail account:
- Open Outlook 2010.
- If you are configuring Outlook for the first time, you will be asked "Would you like to configure an e-mail account?" Click YES.
- If you have previously used or configured Outlook, click FILE, INFO THEN ACCOUNT SETTINGS, and then NEW
- Enter YOUR NAME, E-MAIL ADDRESS (including @STUDENT.AMERICAN.EDU), and PASSWORD. Be sure to select the radio button for MANUALLY CONFIGURE SERVER SETTINGS OR ADDITIONAL SERVER TYPES then Click NEXT. Select INTERNET EMAIL and click NEXT.
- You will then see the following screen with your name and e-mail address already included:
- Select IMAP for the ACCOUNT TYPE.
- Type IMAP.GMAIL.COM in the INCOMING MAIL SERVER field.
- Type SMTP.GMAIL.COM in the OUTGOING MAIL SERVER field.
- Type YOUR FULL E-MAIL ADDRESS in the USER NAME field. Be sure to include @STUDENT.AMERICAN.EDU. Like the above Screenshot.
- Click the MORE SETTINGS button. Then, click the ADVANCED tab.
- You will see a screen like the one shown below:
- Type 993 in the field for the INCOMING SERVER (IMAP): port number. Then, select SSL from the pull-down menu beside USE THE FOLLOWING TYPE OF ENCRYPTED CONNECTION:.
- Type 587 in the field for the OUTGOING SERVER (SMTP): port number. Then, select TLS from the pull-down menu beside USE THE FOLLOWING TYPE OF ENCRYPTED CONNECTION:
- Then, click the OUTGOING SERVER tab. Make sure that MY OUTGOING SERVER (SMTP) REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION is selected. The radio button USE SAME SETTINGS AS MY INCOMING MAIL SERVER should also be selected.
- Click OK. Then, click the NEXT button.
- Click FINISH and then CLOSE.
If you have trouble logging in, make sure you are using the password for your AU-sponsored Gmail account, which is not necessarily the same as your password for myau.american.edu. Also, double-check that your USER NAME is set to your full e-mail address in the format of firstname.lastname@example.org, rather than just your user name. To do this, click on FILE, INFO and then ACCOUNT SETTINGS. Then, click CHANGE and verify the USER NAME field.