Frequently Asked Questions on the IT Asset Management Process
- When and where should I send my request for the computer replacement?
- What information do I need to provide when requesting a replacement?
- What is the process to get a new computer for a new faculty or staff?
- What should I do with my old (replaced) computer??
- Where can I find the warranty expiration date?
- Where can I find the supported standard computers?
- I get a new monitor when I request a replacement?
- What is the standard monitor size?
- Where can I get more information about the IT asset management program?
The initial inventory list is provided to the technical staff within each school, academic unit, and department around April/May for their review, validation, and feedback. The updated inventory and the recommendations from the department's technical staff serve as the starting point for making the decisions on the replacement requests. These materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of May. Future replacement requests for individual workstations should also be sent to the same email address.
For individual workstations, you need to provide the name of the faculty or staff who is currently using the computer. In the case of the lab workstations, the requester's name or the lab manager should be provided. All computers scheduled for replacement must be in the inventory system. If a computer is not in the inventory, please provide the serial number, TAU number, manufacturer, model, and warranty expiration date of the computer.
Requests should be sent to email@example.com and should include the following information:
- Name of the new faculty or staff, and if possible, their start date
- Type of workstation and needed accessories such as monitor, mouse, keyboard
- Budget number, since provision of a new computer for new faculty and staff is not covered by the next generation workstation replacement program and will be charged back to the department.
The replaced computer must be returned for recycling or redeployment by sending an email to AUSurplus@american.edu shortly after the new computer has been setup with the following information:
- Dell service tag number / serial number
- AU Asset tag (TAU) number if available
- Contact information and the pickup location
If a decision is made to keep the replaced computer, or to provide it to another staff, the IT Asset Management team must be notified as to who will receive the older computer and which computer will be sent to AUSurplus. Justification must be provided to the IT Asset Management team if the old computer is not returned for any reason.
Dell warranty expiration dates can be found at: http://support.dell.com
Apple warranty expiration dates can be found at: http://selfsolve.apple.com
Supported standard computers can be found at: www.american.edu/oit/hardware/Workstation-Standard-Configuration.cfm
Monitors are not replaced on a three year cycle. In general, they can last for more than three years, but bad/defective monitors will be replaced when requested.
The standard monitor size is 19''. Justification must be provided for a larger size monitor.
Additional information can be found in the Related Links section of this page.