Changing Your Password on a Windows 7 AU Computer
Step by Step Guide
Below are the steps that the Office of Information Technology recommends you should take when changing your password on an AU issued Windows 7 computer joined to the AU domain:
- Go to the https://myAU.american.edu portal and log in.
- Click on the TECHNOLOGY menu in the Personalized Links area on the right side of the page, and then click on the CHANGE/RESET MY PASSWORD link.
- On the change password screen, choose whether you would like an 8 character password which expires every 90 days, or a 16 character password which expires once a year.
- Enter your old and new passwords. The new password will be subject to the requirements for the length of password you selected.
- Click OK. You should see a confirmation screen that your password was changed successfully.
- You should then click on the SYNCHRONIZE PASSWORDS link on the same page. This will bring you to a new page where you can enter your new password and click OK.
- Next, click the START menu at the bottom right of your screen, and choose the LOG OFF option under the arrow next to the SHUT DOWN menu.
- You will be logged off from Windows. When you are back to the log on screen, you should log back into Windows using your new password (if your computer is encrypted with PGP, logging in with the new password will update your PGP bootguard with the new password).
Please Note: Steps 7 and 8 are especially important if you on a wireless network connection, so that your computer will update your account credentials and connect to the eagle-secure wireless network with your new password.
- If your computer is encrypted with PGP, you should reboot to ensure that the PGP bootguard screen accepts the new password and logs you all the way into Windows.