Configuring the Prosoft Netware Client For Macintosh OS X
Uninstalling a Previous Version of the Client
If you already have a previous version of the Prosoft Netware Client installed, you need to remove it and delete the files associated with it before installing the latest version.
- Click on SPOTLIGHT in the top right corner of your screen.
- Type NETWARE and select NETWARE CLIENT UNINSTALL.
- Check the boxes beside REMOVE PREFERENCES FILE and REMOVE SELF.
- If required, click the LOCK icon and enter your PASSWORD. Then, click OK.
- Click BEGIN UNINSTALL.
- After the uninstall completes, click the RESTART button.
- The computer will restart. After the restart, open your file browser or hard drive icon and search for files containing the word NETWARE. Select and move to the trash any files identified that are part of the program. Do not delete them, if you are not sure.
- After deleting, proceed with the below steps.
Downloading and Installing the Client
- Log on to the my.american.edu Web portal. Click the TECHNOLOGY link, and then select MY CONTEXT AND INCOMING MAIL SERVER.
- Write down your CONTEXT (for example: .j.s3.students.au or .spa.academic.au).
- Insert the ProSoft NetWare for Mac OS X 2.0.1 CD. Double-click on the CD icon on the desktop. Please contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, on instant messenger AskAmericanUHelp, or firstname.lastname@example.org to have a copy of the CD sent to you. If you don't have a campus mailing address, please include your U.S. postal mailing address in the request.
- Double-click on the installation file called PROSOFTNETWARECLIENT.PKG.
- You will be notified that the installer needs to run a program to determine if the software can be installed on your machine. Click the CONTINUE button.
- You will see a screen which will show you the hardware requirements and prerequisites for the client. Click CONTINUE.
- The next screen will show you a summary and installation notes. Click CONTINUE.
- Click CONTINUE on the Software License Agreement screen. Then, click AGREE.
- Your main drive will be selected as the default installation location, so just click CONTINUE.
- On the next screen, click INSTALL. You will be prompted for your password, which is the password you use to log in to your Macintosh and to install programs. Enter your PASSWORD and click OK.
- You will be warned that you must restart at the end of the installation. Click CONTINUE INSTALLATION.
- The installer will prompt you to restart when complete. Click RESTART. Log back in, when the system comes back up.
Configuring the Client
- Open the NETWARE BROWSER application from your APPLICATIONS folder.
- When prompted for the licensing information, enter your FULL NAME in the USER NAME field. Enter AMERICAN UNIVERSITY in the ORGANIZATION field. Enter the SERIAL NUMBER as printed in red on the installation CD. Then, click OK.
- Once the program opens, select PREFERENCES from the NETWARE BROWSER menu. You will see the following screen:
- Configure the software as described below:
- Check all three boxes for USE THESE AS DEFAULTS, SHOW LOGIN WINDOW AT LAUNCH, and MOUNT-ROOT USER HOME DIRECTORY AT LOGIN.
- In the TREE field, enter 18.104.22.168
- In the CONTEXT field, type your CONTEXT as it appeared in the Portal (for example: .j.s3.students.au or .spa.academic.au).
- Click the ADVANCED SETTINGS tab at the top of the window. You will see the following screen:
- Select SIGNATURE LEVEL from the list of options. Change the SETTING drop-down menu to REQUIRED.
- Click the SERVICE LOCATION tab at the top of the window. You will see the following screen:
- Type 22.214.171.124 in the field under STATIC SERVICE AGENT LIST. Then, click the ADD button.
- Type 126.96.36.199 in the field under STATIC DIRECTORY AGENT LIST. Then, click the ADD button.
- Select the radio button for DIRECTORY AGENT at the bottom of the screen.
- Click SAVE and close the Preferences window.
- Close the client.
Logging into the Client
- Open the NETWARE BROWSER application again from your APPLICATIONS folder. You should see the following login prompt with the "Tree" and "Server" fields filled in already.
- Type your USER NAME and PASSWORD in the fields provided. Then, click the LOGIN button.
- Once you are logged in, the "Login" button should change to say "Logout" and you will get an icon on your desktop with your user name. This is your G: drive.
- Once you have logged in successfully, you will see an icon on your desktop with your username below it. Double-click on it to open and browse your G drive.
- Close the NetWare Browser window. Please note: you will stay logged in until you disconnect from your network connection or click LOGOUT. If you want to disconnect after you have closed the NetWare Browser window, just re-open it from the Applications folder. Then, click LOGOUT.
Would you like to connect to your shared departmental drive as well? Please see these instructions.
Contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, email@example.com, or AskAmericanUHelp anytime to reach one of our professional staff who can answer your questions and provide general troubleshooting assistance.