Using the VPN Juniper Networks Secure Meeting Feature
The Juniper Networks Secure Meeting feature allows an individual to share their desktop with someone else. There are several examples when the system's remote control features will improve service delivery For example:
- A staff member can share their computer screen to collaborate remotely with a colleague.
- A staff member can authorize another staff member to remotely control their keyboard and mouse in order to demonstrate a procedure or provide assistance.
- An analyst can authorize a vendor to remotely control their keyboard and mouse to troubleshoot a system problem. This protects our networks because the analyst is able to provide oversight by monitoring the vendor's actions.
Terms to Know
Conductor: the person who initiates the Instant Meeting.
Presenter: the person who shares their desktop so that the Conductor can demonstrate a procedure or make changes on the Presenter's computer.
Logging into the VPN Service
- Open your Web browser and go to vpn.american.edu. Please note: you should use one of the following supported Web browsers: Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer on a Windows computer, or Safari on a Macintosh.
- Once the HOST CHECKER has completed its scan of your software for compliance with AU's minimum security requirements, you will be presented with a WELCOME screen.
- Enter your AU USER NAME and PASSWORD. Then, click the SIGN IN button.
- Click the START button in the NETWORK CONNECT section.
Creating an Instant Meeting
The Instant Meeting feature allows you to create and join a meeting in a few simple steps.
- At the top of the page, click the MEETINGS button.
- Click the INSTANT MEETING button.
- If you want to change the meeting password, modify the default value in the PASSWORD field.
- If you want to mask the names of meeting attendees, select the HIDE ATTENDEE NAMES checkbox. When you select this option, the meeting conductor and presenter can see the names of all attendees, but all other attendees can only see their own names and the names of the conductor and presenter.
- Click the START MEETING button.
- A plug-in will install and you will see the secure meeting control window in a new browser window:
- Copy the MEETING URL and PASSWORD from the JOIN MEETING page, which will be in a separate browser window.
- E-mail the MEETING URL and PASSWORD to all of meeting participants, as this is required to join the meeting.
Using the Remote Control Features
- Click the SHARING button.
- You will see the following screen:
- The Presenter, who wants to share their screen, must check the box next to the APPLICATION(S) that they wish to share with the others logged into the secure meeting. Click SHARE DESKTOP AND ALL APPLICATIONS to allow full control over the computer.
Ending the Meeting
- From the menu bar on the secure meeting control window, click MEETING.
- Then, click END MEETING.
- Open SAFARI. Click SAFARI on the menu bar.
- Uncheck BLOCK POP-UP WINDOWS.
- Click SAFARI from the menu again.
- Click PREFERENCES and SECURITY.
- Close PREFERENCES.