Wireless Network Configuration for Windows Vista
Protecting your Connection
Always check for the gold lock or "https" in the address field before transmitting your password or PIN over the network. You can also use AU's VPN service.
Connecting to the Wireless Network
Windows Vista supports wireless networking without the need for additional software. Installing your wireless card on your computer consists of two main steps, installing your wireless card and configuring your wireless card for AU's wireless network. Most laptops purchased within the last three years will have wireless networking already built-in. Desktop computers can easily have a wireless card installed and may sometimes arrive with one.
AU's wireless network requires an 802.11b/g compliant wireless network card. The network card/adapter must be correctly configured, using the instructions below, in order to participate in AU's wireless network.
Simply turn on your computer and insert your external wirelesss network card if it is not already built-in. Some laptops with internal wireless adapters have mechanical switches or special keys on the keyboard that can toggle the wireless adapter on and off. Consult your laptop's documentation to make sure the wireless (WiFi) adapter is enabled if you have trouble completing the steps below.
- Click on the START button.
- Select CONNECT TO from the Start menu.
- If you do not see "Connect To" click START and then type, NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER and hit the ENTER key.
- When the next window opens, click the CONNECT TO A NETWORK task on the left.
- Click on eaglenet and then click CONNECT.
- NOTE: Do not be concerned about the privacy warning. In the next step, you will select a network profile that will enable tighter firewall and security settings.
- Click CONNECT ANYWAY.
- Check the box to SAVE THIS NETWORK.
- Check the box to START THIS CONNECTION AUTOMATICALLY.
- Finally, click the CLOSE button.
- Within a few seconds, you should automatically connect to the network and you will be prompted to select a location:
- Click PUBLIC LOCATION. Your computer will have a direct Internet connection, so it is important to choose this location that offers enhanced security and privacy.
- Click CLOSE, when you see the notification that you successfully set the following network settings:
Network Name: eaglenet
Location Type: Public
- Now that your computer is connected to AU's wireless network, you will need to download and install the Cisco Clean Access Agent (CCA). CCA is required to be installed and running before you can access the Internet.
- To install CCA, start your Web browser. You will be redirected to the MARS CCA page. Login with your AU USER NAME and PASSWORD. Then, click the link to install the Cisco Clean Access Agent.