Now Available for Download from OIT
Many new, and some familiar, applications are available for download to your personal or work computer in the my.american.edu portal. New and available to everyone are:
- EndNote X2, the latest version of the bibliography application licensed to AU by the library. Frequently used tasks are now grouped together and searching local and online databases is easier to do than in previous versions.
- MyIDProtector, an application that scans your local and network drives for sensitive data, such as Social Security numbers and mailing addresses. At the end of the scan, MyIDProtector presents you with a summary of the data found; it is not sent to anyone else to review.
New versions of Symantec EndPoint Protection for Windows and AntiVirus for Mac are also available for download.
Faculty and staff can now download:
- Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows and Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, the popular office suite. Contact the IT Help Desk for the license key for Office 2007.
- Prosoft Netware Client for Mac, the application that enables Macs to log into the campus Novell network. Students may request a CD of the program from the IT Help Desk.
OIT Spring 2009 Newsletter Now Online
Click here to view the newsletter. Content includes:
- update on recent initiatives of CIO Dave Swartz
- news, including new staff profiles, from all over OIT
- explanation of server virtualization and how it saves AU money and electricity
- introduction of new services, such as new student self-service portal applications, and improvements to existing services, such as wireless network upgrades
- background on a newly deployed change management process with resulting documented service improvements
- security tips, including how to defend against spear phishing attacks that use personalized phone calls or e-mails to fool victims into sharing private data
- information on how tools like whole disk encryption and the Virtual Private Network (VPN) can protect AU and your private data
Contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or instant messenger at AskAmericanUHelp for assistance and further information.
Check for outages and scheduled maintenance on AU systems at