Online On Time - IT Onboarding Program Launches for New Staff
The Office of Information Technology and Human Resources have partnered to develop a new process for the way newly hired full-time staff obtain basic IT access, with the goal of providing the new AU staff members with access to the campus network, email, their computer, and their campus telephone on their first day of employment.
The new program, dubbed the Online On Time - IT Onboarding Program, began in early November. New employees scheduled to start on or after November 12th will benefit from the new process.
IMPORTANT: To make the process work, the departmental HR representative or hiring supervisor should submit the online e-action forms as soon as a decision to hire has been made. If the new staff member has provided the required information to HR and the IT Help Desk receives this information at least five working days prior to the staff member's start date, the staff member's access will be set up for their first day.
- As soon as the e-action form is submitted by the supervisor, HR will contact the newly hired full-time staff member to ask them to provide their social security number, so they can be set up in the HR information system and be assigned an AU ID number, the first significant step in the IT onboarding process.
- The IT Help Desk will receive a list of new full-time staff and their AU IDs ahead of their start date. The Help Desk then will be able to create a portal and email account for each new person with a temporary password.
- The IT Help Desk will contact the new staff member’s supervisor to inquire about:
- System Access Requirements
- Note: Access to specialized systems such as: Colleague, MicroStrategy BI, or EagleData, will still require a separate request and approval. The Help Desk will be able to facilitate this request on the supervisor’s behalf.
- Computer Hardware Set-up Requirements
- Telecommunications Phone Needs/Changes
- System Access Requirements
- The new staff member will receive assistance resetting their password to personalize it.
- If a staff member starts on an orientation day, they will receive their temporary password during the IT training portion of the New Hire Orientation and will have an opportunity to reset their password.
- If a staff member starts on a day other than an orientation day, they can contact the IT Help Desk for their temporary password and instructions for changing it.
During the past year, Human Resources reviewed the processes around the way new staff are welcomed into the AU community, as well as researched best practices for onboarding new staff. This effort addresses one of the primary needs identified during HR's survey of recently hired staff.
Your feedback on how the process is working and suggestions for improving our new employees’ employment experience at the university is valued by HR and IT, so please feel free to call Terry Fernandez (x2554), Senior Director of IT Customer Service & Support, or Maira Lazdins, Assistant Director of Staff Recruitment, (X3557) with feedback.