AU-Supported Software Applications
The Office of Information Technology supports a wide variety of software applications. Many of the applications listed below have been licensed for use by all AU Faculty, Staff, and Students, or else they are freely available. Please click on any of the links below to learn more about our supported software applications.
General Applications (Available to All AU Faculty, Staff, and Students)
- AU Campus Connect - AU's emergency alert system
- Blackboard - AU's Web-based e-learning application used to supplement most classes.
- CommonSpot - AU's content management system for posting university Web content.
- EndNote - AU's site-licensed citation and bibliographic software
- Listserv E-mail Lists - E-mail lists facilitate communication with others sharing similar interests
- myAU.american.edu - AU's Web portal, your secure, personal gateway to information and services
- OpenOffice.org Office Suite - a free open-source alternative to the Microsoft Office Suite for Windows, Macintosh, and Linux.
- SafeConnect - AU's network authentication system, which performs a "health check" on all computers prior to accessing the network.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection - AU's site-licensed virus scanning software
- VPN - a tool for securely connecting to AU network resources from anywhere in the world
- Windows 7 - learn about AU's support for the Windows 7 operating system
- AU-Sponsored Gmail - connect to your AU-sponsored Gmail account either through the Web or through a configured IMAP mail client
- EagleBuck$ Printing - AU's campus-wide pay-for-printing system, used in computer labs, libraries, and residence halls
- eSUDS - AU's fully-computerized laundry service, used in the residence halls
- Microsoft Office (Academic Discount) - AU's recommended Office suite for Windows and Macintosh computers, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. This software can be purchased at an academic discount from the Campus Bookstore or other computer vendors.
Faculty and Staff Applications
- Datatel Colleague and Colleague Advancement - AU's administrative computing systems with modules to manage student academic records, financial information, human resources records, and support the development initiatives at the university.
- EagleData - a Web-accessible source for university statistics and reports
- Faculty and Staff E-mail Options - access your AU e-mail via the Lotus Notes client, through the Web, or through a configured IMAP mail client
- Microsoft Office - AU's recommended Office suite for Windows and Macintosh computers, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. This software is licensed for home and office use by AU faculty and staff.