Managing Your Listserv
List Owner Responsibilities
List owners have several responsibilities depending on how the list was configured:
- Review messages carried on the list to ensure that they are are appropriate to the list's topic, do not contain copyrighted material, are respectful of the various subscribers as well as others, and abide by AU IT policies.
- Manage subscribers who have opted to join your list. Remember: AU does not allow lists to be used for commercial purposes or sending unsolicited e-mail.
- Moderate discussions.
- Notify email@example.com when your list is no longer needed.
List Management Options
Lists can be managed either by sending commands to the Listserv server via e-mail or through a Web interface.
- Listserv commands sent from your e-mail address can add or remove subscribers, approve messages for distribution, modify the list configuration, and more. Instructions are available online at listserv.american.edu.
- The Listerv site also has a Web interface that is much easier for most people to use.
Accessing the Listserv Management Web Interface
- Open a Web browser and go to listserv.american.edu.
- If you are connecting to the management interface for the first time, you will be asked to login.
- If you have never logged into the listserv interface from any computer, click the link to GET A NEW LISTSERV PASSWORD.
- Listserv user names are all e-mail addresses. You must enter your e-mail address as it appears on outgoing Internet mail (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org depending on how your account was configured to send outgoing messages).
- You will be provided with instructions on how to confirm your new password via e-mail.
- If you already know your password, simply enter it along with your e-mail address and click LOGIN.
- Once you login, the server will set a cookie on your browser that will login automatically for you. If you are using someone else's computer, you should use the button to LOGIN WITHOUT SETTING A COOKIE.
Managing Your List through the Web Interface
- You will see a screen like the following:
- Click on the alphabetic range for you list name, and select your list from the drop-down menu.
- Then, click the appropriate menu bar option for LIST MANAGEMENT or LIST MODERATION.
- Each of the options are well documented in the online list owner's manual.