Installing EndNote X7
Minimum system requirements
- Mac OS X 10.6 or later
- Microsoft Office 2008 and 2011
Removing Previous Versions of EndNote
If you are using a previous version, the manufacturer recommends uninstalling it to avoid any conflicts.
- Back up any existing EndNote customized content files. To do this, go to FINDER, APPLICATIONS, and ENDNOTE. Find your customized content in each of the following folders and copy it to new folders on your Desktop: CONNECTIONS, FILTERS, and STYLES.
- You may skip this step if you are not certain that you have created any customized content.
- Back up any existing EndNote Library files. To do this, go to FINDER and locate the folder where you created your EndNote Library. It may be helpful to search for the string ".ENL" to locate the folder containing the EndNote Library. Copy the folder to your Desktop.
- From FINDER, APPLICATIONS, drag the ENDNOTE folder to the TRASH.
- Now, you are ready to install ENDNOTE X7.
Installing EndNote X7
- Log into the myau.american.edu Web portal.
- In the Personalized Links menu on the right side of the page click the TECHNOLOGY link and select DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE.
- Click the ENDNOTE X7 (MAC VERSION) link.
- Save the installation file to your computer's hard drive.
- Click the MAGNIFYING GLASS icon on the menu bar to search for the installer file in the FINDER.
- Drag the installation file to your desktop.
- Double-click the file to start the installation.
- Drag the ENDNOTE X7 folder into the APPLICATIONS folder shown on the installer screen.
- Wait while the file is copied.
- Open the APPLICATIONS folder on your hard drive.
- Double-click the ENDNOTE X7 application in the APPLICATIONS folder.
- Wait while the files are copied and installed.
- Double-click the ENDNOTE X7 icon in the ENDNOTE X7 folder within the APPLICATIONS folder.
- Click OPEN if prompted, then NEXT twice.
- Click DONE.
- Select the installation file icon and drag it to the TRASH.
Checking for updates after installing EndNote
- Before creating a new library or opening an existing library, be sure you are connected to the Internet. Then, click HELP and ENDNOTE PROGRAM UPDATES.
- Review the updates available and select those relevant to your system.
- If this is a new installation and you are not upgrading from a previous version of EndNote, you may now open the ENDNOTE X7 application and CREATE A NEW LIBRARY. If you are upgrading from a previous version of EndNote, please follow the steps below:
- Copy any backed-up customized content to the corresponding folders in FINDER, APPLICATIONS, and ENDNOTE X7.
- If your Library folder is still in the original location and appears to be intact, you may now open the ENDNOTE X7 application and OPEN AN EXISTING LIBRARY.
- Navigate to the location of the original LIBRARY.ENL file, and open it. The installation should now be complete.
Note: there is an update available for the Microsoft Office 2008 EndNote plug-in, but it requires Office 2008 Service Pack 1 (SP1) to be already installed. If you have Microsoft Office 2008 installed, check that SP1 is already installed by running AUTOUPDATE and select VIEW INSTALLED UPDATES. If it is not installed, select CHECK FOR UPDATES NOW.