Windows 7 Performance
Getting The Most Out Of Your American University Computer
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) has performed extensive tests on the Windows 7 image on both the AU wireless and wired networks, to baseline the amount of time it takes to boot up a computer. Windows 7 Is feature rich, resulting in a slower start up time for most users compared to their experience with Windows XP. As we add more and more applications to our computers, the performance can be impacted. Windows slow down is both software related (user profile and applications) and hardware related (disk drives can run slowly) and so it takes longer for the computer to search and process commands.
If you feel your system is unusually sluggish, OIT has a couple of recommendations:
CCleaner is a freeware application that removes unused or unnecessary files from your system, allowing Windows to run faster. This includes temporary Internet files, registry files, cookies, files stored in your recycle bin. It also cleans traces of your online activities, such as your Internet history, from all AU supported web browsers. To download and install CCleaner, follow the instructions below.
- Download CCleaner here.
- Once the setup file has been downloaded, double click on it to run it. Click RUN when prompted.
- You should see the following screen:
- Click NEXT to continue.
- On the following screen, uncheck the middle two boxes as shown below and then click INSTALL:
- Click FINISH to exit the installer and run CCleaner.
- Click YES when prompted with the window below:
- CCleaner is now ready to use. Click the RUN CLEANER button at the bottom right of the window to run CCleaner. The scan can take a few minutes to complete.
- Once the scan is complete you can exit CCleaner.
Re-imaging Your Computer
If your computer is still running sluggishly after running CCleaner, you can request that it be re-imaged. Re-imaging your computer essentially means reinstalling the Windows operating system and all of your software, which gives your computer a fresh start. To request a re-image for your computer, please contact the IT Help Desk.