Informal Advisors to President Kerwin
The University Council serves as an informal advisory body to the university president. The Council meets with the president approximately six times each academic year and is composed of 13 persons (four faculty, four staff, four students, and one alumnus), plus three support staff. Five members (the heads of the Faculty Senate, Student Government, Graduate Leadership Council, and Student Bar Association, and the vice president of the AU Alumni Board) serve in an ex-officio capacity.
In its advisory role, the University Council discusses issues of importance to the AU community, such as the budget, strategic plan, campus master plan for facilities, capital campaign, enrollment, parking, etc. Each member is invited to bring issues to the president’s attention and is expected to update his or her constituencies on the Council’s discussions.
Membership on the Council is limited to the appointee. The term of service is typically two years in length, except for ex-officio members, whose term expires when service to the elected post concludes. The University Council was formed in 2002 as part of the university’s strategic plan.
The members for 2012-2013 are:
- Neil Kerwin, President
- D. Barlow Burke Jr.*, chair, Faculty Senate; professor of Law, Washington College of Law
- William DeLone, professor, Kogod School of Business and interim executive director, Center for Teaching, Research and Learning
- Sarah Irvine Belson, associate professor and dean, School of Education, Teaching and Health
- 1 additional faculty (TBA)
- Matteo Becchi*, chair, Staff Council; project manager, Enterprise Systems
- Maralee Csellar, associate director, Media Relations
- Dan Nichols, executive director, University Safety Programs
- Chris O'Brien, director of sustainability, Facilities Management
- Abby Duggan*, president, Student Bar Association
- Cheria Funches, ad hoc student representative; director, Ethnic and Cultural Coalition
- Lauren Lane*, executive chair, Graduate Leadership Council
- Emily Yu*, president, Student Government
- Chip Griffin*, vice president, AU Alumni Board
- Beth Muha, executive director, Human Resources
- David Taylor, chief of staff, President’s Office
- Leslie Wong, director of special projects, President’s Office
A historical list of members is available here.