February 1, 2012
|FROM:||Neil Kerwin, President|
|SUBJECT:||2012 University Awards for Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni
I am pleased to announce the launch of the 2012 University Awards process. This annual process allows us to recognize the continued dedication, hard work, and outstanding service of our graduating students, alumni, faculty, and staff whose contributions make AU a better place to live, work, and study. I encourage you to recognize those persons who have made exceptional contributions by nominating them for a university award.
There are several changes of note regarding faculty and student awards:
- The Outstanding Teaching in a Term Appointment Award is a new award recognizing faculty with a single or multi-year appointment who have demonstrated sustained contributions to the university for at least three academic years.
- The process to submit nominations for all 17 student awards will be fully integrated on the myAU portal (available beginning February 6), creating a seamless process and providing the opportunity to save and edit nominations. Also, to ensure that the most deserving students are nominated for each award, nominators must submit separate submissions for each award (rather than using one submission nominating a student for multiple awards).
Detailed information on the awards, selection criteria, deadlines, and access to nomination forms is on the University Awards website.
Awards are accompanied by cash prizes at the following levels:
- $250 to $1,000 for student awards
- $750 for staff awards (not to exceed $5,000 for a group award)
- $2,000 to $5,000 for faculty awards
We continually work to improve every sector of campus. I invite you to help us acknowledge those persons who have exhibited sustained and exemplary commitment to AU and whose actions enable us to fulfill our mission.
AU's strategic plan, Leadership for a Changing World, outlines goals and objectives for the next decade at American University. Visit american.edu/strategicplan for more information. (myAU.american.edu login required for some documents)