January 28, 2010
|FROM:||Neil Kerwin, President|
|SUBJECT:||2010 University Awards for Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni|
I am pleased to announce the launch of the annual University Awards process. The continued dedication and hard work of our students, alumni, faculty, and staff make AU a better place to live, work, and study, and I encourage you to recognize those persons who have made exceptional contributions by nominating them for a university award.
Detailed information on the awards, selection criteria, and deadlines is on the University Awards Web site (www.american.edu/universityawards).
Awards are accompanied by cash prizes at the following levels:
- $250 to $1,000 for student awards
- $750 for staff awards (not to exceed $5,000 for a group award)
- $2,000 to $5,000 for faculty awards
The main changes this year are minor updates to the student awards:
- requiring that all student award winners be on track to graduate in May
- incorporating the vice provost of graduate studies and research and the vice provost of undergraduate studies into the review process for the outstanding scholarship awards
- changing the structure of the Outstanding Scholarship at the Graduate Level award—so that one recipient is a master’s degree candidate and the other is a doctoral degree candidate
We continue to make important strides in every sector of campus. I invite you to help us to acknowledge those persons whose commitment to AU is worthy of recognition.
AU's strategic plan, Leadership for a Changing World, outlines goals and objectives for the next decade at American University. Visit american.edu/strategicplan for more information. (myAU.american.edu login required for some documents)