Department of Philosophy and Religion
- I joined the AU community in 2005. My teaching and research are focused on democratic theory, globalization, exile, existentialism and aesthetics, particularly philosophy of film.
DegreesPhD, Villanova University
BA, University of the Pacific
Languages Spoken:Persian and French
- DOWNLOAD FULL BIO (PDF)
- CAS - Philosophy and Religion
- Battelle Tompkins - 123
- On leave
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Partnerships & Affiliations
Editorial Advisory Board
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Continental philosophy, aesthetics, political philosophy
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
Research Associate at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, South Africa
- The Aesthetics of Autonomy: Ricoeur and Sartre on Emancipation, Authenticity and Selfhood (Lexington Books: Under contract).
- “Ricoeur and the Pre-Political” (Co-authored with John Whitmire), Continental Philosophy Review, Vol. 41 (4), 2008.
- “Fixing Marx with Machiavelli: Claude Lefort’s Democratic Turn”, Journal of the British Society for Phenomenology, Vol. 39 (2), May 2008, pp. 200-214.
- “Something New Under the Sun: Levinas and the Ethics of Social Imagination”, PhaenEx: Journal of Existential and Phenomenological Theory and Culture, Vol. 1 (Spring/Summer) 2007, pp. 46-66.
- “Committed Perception: Merleau-Ponty, Carroll and Iranian Cinema,” Philosophy Today, Accepted (September 6, 2006).
- “Sartre and Kierkegaard on The Aesthetics of Boredom,” Idealistic Studies, Volume 34(3), Fall 2004, pp. 303-317.
- “Being-There and Being-From-Elsewhere: An Existential Analytic of Exile,” Reconstruction, Vol. 2 (3), Summer 2002, pp. 1-24.
- “Exile and the Philosophical Challenge to Citizenship,” (Co-authored with John Whitmire) in Creativity in Exile, ed.