Chair, Department of Performing Arts
Department of Performing Arts
Fernando Benadon oversees the music theory & composition program in the Department of Performing Arts. His research focuses on rhythm, twentieth-century music, and cognition.
Recent honors include a Digital Humanities Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, a Guggenheim Fellowship in music composition, a CD release, a fellowship from the Mannes Music & Mind institute, and various premieres, publications, and research presentations.
DegreesPhD, Music Composition, UC Berkeley
BM, Arranging, Berklee College of Music
- PERF-296 Selected Topics:Non-Recurring: Music Composition
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Metrical Perception of Trisyllabic Speech Rhythms. Psychological Research (in press)
- A Corpus Analysis of Rubato in Bach's C Major Prelude (under review)
- Time Warps in Early Jazz. Music Theory Spectrum 31:1 (2009)
- Gridless Beats. Perspectives of New Music 47:1 (2009)
- How Hooker Found His Boogie. Popular Music 28:1 (2009); co-authored with Ted Gioia
- A Circular Plot for Rhythm Visualization and Analysis. Music Theory Online 13:3 (2007)
- Slicing the Beat: Jazz Eighth-Notes as Expressive Microrhythm. Ethnomusicology 50:1 (2006)
- An Interview with Martin Matalon. Computer Music Journal 29:2 (2005)
Grants and Sponsored Research
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Digital Startup Grant (2010)
- “Intuitivo.” innova Recordings (2009).
- "Five Miniatures." On innova Recordings CD by Thelema Trio (2009).
- “Song 72.” On Albany Records CD by Noah Getz (2007).
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship (2009)
- Mannes Institute for Advanced Studies in Music Theory (2008, 2009)
- Jaap Kunst Prize, Society for Ethnomusicology (2007)
- Individual Artist Award, Maryland State Arts Council (2007)
- League of Composers / ISCM composers competition (2005)
- Aaron Copland Award, Copland House (2004)
- Nicola DeLorenzo 1st Prize, UC-Berkeley (2004)
- George Ladd Prix de Paris, UC-Berkeley (2001 - 03)
- Fromm Commission, Tanglewood Music Center (2001)
- Disentangling the Rubato-Groove Continuum. Society for Music Theory (2012)
- Metrical Properties of Fusion Drum Solos. Society for Music Theory (2011)
- Crossmodal Analogues of Tempo Rubato. Society for Music Perception and Cognition (2011)
- Expressive Timing via Metric Hybrids. International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition (2010)
- Speech Rhythms and Metric Frames. Society for Mathematics and Computation in Music (2009)
- Speech Rhythms and the Theorist. Works in Progress Series, Yale University Music Department (2008)
- Bend it Like Bubber: Miley's Time in Creole Love Call. Society for Music Theory (2007)
- Towards a Theory of Tempo Modulation. International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition (2004)
- Absolutes and Relatives in Jazz Microtiming (poster). Auditory Perception, Cognition, and Action Meeting (2004).
- The MacDowell Colony (2006)
- Copland House (2004)
- Voix Nouvelles, Fondation Royaumont (2002)
- Wellesley Composers Conference (2002)
- Tanglewood Music Center (2000)
- Aspen Advanced Master Class in Composition (1999)