Department of Government
Additional Positions at AUAdjunct professor: Washington College of Law (Statutory and Regulatory Process; Legal Research and Writing).
- Lara Schwartz specializes in constitutional law, civil rights, politics, communications, and policy. With over a decade as a legislative lawyer, lobbyist, and communications strategist in leading civil rights organizations, Lara brings an advocate’s-eye view to her teaching. Prior to joining the SPA faculty, Lara served as Director of Strategic Engagement at the American Constitution Society for Law & Policy. Previously she served as Courts Matter director at Media Matters, Legal Director at the Human Rights Campaign, and Vice President of External Affairs at the American Association of People with Disabilities. Lara practiced securities litigation at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, and Flom and Gilbert, Heintz, and Randolph. She also served as a law clerk to Judge Ronald Lee Gilman on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit. Lara has appeared on national and local radio and television programs and written op-eds published in national papers and local papers of record.
DegreesAB, English and American Literature, Brown University 1993
JD, Harvard Law School 1998
Favorite Spot on Campus:Quadrangle
Favorite Place in Washington DC:In the shade.
Book Currently Reading:A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti
Languages Spoken:English and Legalese
- M, Th 1:30p-3:30p and by appointment.
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Member (inactive) of the bars of the District of Columbia, Maryland, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth and Fourth Circuits.
- Brookings Institution: “Same-Sex Marriage and Religious Liberty: A Reconciliation,” March 12, 2009.
- Kojo Nnamdi Show January 31, 2011 “Online Parenting Wars.”
- American Constitution Society 2008 Annual Convention-- Panel session: Rights in Conflict: Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Religious Liberty; Rights in Conflict: Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Religious Liberty (Windows Media Player).
- Diane Rehm Show, May 2003 and September 2009.
- CNN Situation Room 2009, and other appearances on CNN and MSNBC.
- C-Span Washington Journal, California Supreme Court’s marriage equality decision May 16, 2008.
- Federalist Society Panel Discussion: Gay Marriage and the Role of the Judiciary, October 23, 2008.
- Federalist Society online Debate Series Hate Crimes Legislation, August 17, 2009.
- Concerned Women for America Convention 2004.
- Numerous appearances on radio programs around the country.
- Justice Talking (NPR) - Gay Marriage, August 30, 2004.
- House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Subcommittee on Federal Workforce, Postal Service, and District of Columbia. “Ensuring a merit-based employment system: an examination of the Merit Systems Protection Board and the Office of Special Counsel.” July 12, 2007.
- “No Forsaking our Core Principles.” Legal Times, May 26, 2008.
- "Straight Talk about Hate Crimes Bills: Anti-Gay, Anti-Transgender Bias Stalls Federal Hate Crimes Legislation," Georgetown Journal of Gender & the Law 7, 2006, p. 171-186.
- Dozens of ghost-written op eds.
- Executive produced, scripted, and cast PSA www.aapd.com/30seconds